Thursday, August 1, 2013

July NewFOs

Here are my July NewFOs!
 
 
My first project is a pillow cover.
I used a partially paper-pieced pattern from Quilter's Cache
called "Bird of Paradise".  Thanks to Marsha Hohn!
 
Here's the front 
 
and the back
When I measured for the back, I decided that 10.5" would give me the 3" overlap I wanted.  So I cut two 10.5" squares...instead of 10.5" by the width of the pillow!
Argh.  But, no worries, I just made a design decision & added a rectangle to each half & voila!
 
 
Now here it is "stuffed":
 
I did have one other problem.  When I printed out the paper-piecing patterns, my printer would NOT print it at the correct scale. I didn't think about that when I made the 4-patches, so they were a bit too big.  Of course, it was an amount between 3/4" & 7/8" inch off, but I did the best I could.
 
Next is another dish mat, using free-piecing with lots of scraps with a terry cloth dish towel on the back.
 
It really does lay flat, honest!
 
 
And finally, I've made some blocks that will eventually be a philanthropy quilt for my quilt guild.
 
I'm using a technique from a video by the Missouri Star Quilt Company.  They used a design by 3 Dudes Quilting in Phoenix, AZ.  They used a Jelly Roll, but my strips are actually 3" instead of 2.5".
 
 
 
To see more July NewFOs,
pop on over to Cat Patches!
 
 
sue
 


3 comments:

  1. I like the bright colors that you used for your cover. They look really good with that block. I like the way you did the back. Don't tell anyone and they'll never know that it wasn't supposed to be like that. Your dish mat looks really fun. I'll have to try my hand at making one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful, Sue. I'm quite taken with that Bird of Paradise block. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillow looks great, and I agree, consider the back a unique intentional design element. I love the idea of the dishmat - that would be great way to make a whole set of placemats.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!