Thursday, October 27, 2011

Scrap Splat Challenge

In September, Generation Q magazine & Thomas Knauer
invited their readers to a scrappy challenge.
GenQ picked 30 random commenters to play,
and Thomas sent us each forty 2.5" squares,
each one a different fabric. 
We had to use all of the squares, in any fashion we so desired.
The only additional fabric allowed had to be solids - as many colors as we liked.
We had about a month to work on the Challenge,
and pictures of our finished project had to be emailed in by October 26th.

I, of course, finished mine on October 25th,
sometime between 11:25pm and 11:59pm.
(I know it was during the first half-hour of the Tonight Show)
Of course.
It was much too late, according to my brain, to take photos at that time,
so I waited until the next morning, before work, to shoot my entry
& email them to Megan.

So, here's my project.
Photos taken in my sleep.



I made the 3D flying geese
using the one-seam method
demonstrated by Ricky Tims on The Quilt Show.
Easy to make, but then when sewing them together,
there were a lot of fabric layers to go through.


The red & aqua triangles in the center
were paper pieced.
I drew out my pattern on graph paper first.
When I started to piece them, for some reason I thought
I should do it like they were individual pieces
(with the red triangles in 2 pieces),
instead of one long strip.
Duh.
At least I figured it out after only a couple.
Sheesh.


I opted for the overlapping flap for the back of the pillow.
Then I made an pillow insert to fit.
My brain is still tired from figuring it all out!


Is it time for a nap yet?
That pillow is so darned inviting!
I do love my RED chair too!

Hope y'all have a
wonderful Thursday!

sue

7 comments:

  1. That's a great pillow! Very original and I love the bit of monkey peeking out and the snails! AND the colors are spectacular together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fabulous!! I love The central strip of triangles paired up with the geese. The different triangles make you take a second look. Have a good sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is fantastic! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very cool, Sue! I love the colors!! Now go take a nap (Whoop whoop!!))

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a crazy cool pillow!! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. My latest post is a scrap splat challenge too! Thanks for sharing yours! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!