Wednesday, August 28, 2013

52 Photos Project: On The {Fire} Line

This week's prompt at 52 Photos Project is

On The Line.

These are on the fire line,

taken in June 2012
in Glendora, CA.

Thanks to the fast response by the firefighters,
no homes were damaged and the fire was quickly contained.

Right now, my cousin & his wife have been evacuated from their home near the Rim fire near Yosemite National Park.
That fire is currently only 20% contained & has burned over 184,000 acres, according to the U.S. Forest Service.
My thoughts & prayers are with the over 4,000 firefighters on site fighting the Rim fire, and all the other firefighters working fires elsewhere.

Stay safe.

To see more photos, check out the Gallery.


Thursday, August 22, 2013

52 Photos Project, week 18: Light & Dark

Full moon from December 2013.
I love the soft focus of this one ~
sort of like how I see someone across the room when I have my "computer" glasses on!

See the Gallery for more great photos!

Monday, August 19, 2013

52 Photos Project: Unusual & Uncommon

Unusual & Uncommon

This was somewhere, between Texas & Arkansas
I think.

(Please excuse the roadtrip bugs on the windshield!)

Not every day you see an airplane parked on the side of the highway, no airport in sight.

See more Unusual & Uncommon photos
in the Gallery.


Sunday, August 4, 2013

52 Photos Project: Fresh

This week's 52 Photos Project prompt is
I'm calling this one
"Fresh Peeled".
This is another Eucalyptus tree in Claremont, CA.
A while back I showed a different tree that had layers of bark lifting up.  You can see that one here.

To see more FRESH photos,
click over to the 52 Photos Project Gallery.


Thursday, August 1, 2013

July NewFOs

Here are my July NewFOs!
My first project is a pillow cover.
I used a partially paper-pieced pattern from Quilter's Cache
called "Bird of Paradise".  Thanks to Marsha Hohn!
Here's the front 
and the back
When I measured for the back, I decided that 10.5" would give me the 3" overlap I wanted.  So I cut two 10.5" squares...instead of 10.5" by the width of the pillow!
Argh.  But, no worries, I just made a design decision & added a rectangle to each half & voila!
Now here it is "stuffed":
I did have one other problem.  When I printed out the paper-piecing patterns, my printer would NOT print it at the correct scale. I didn't think about that when I made the 4-patches, so they were a bit too big.  Of course, it was an amount between 3/4" & 7/8" inch off, but I did the best I could.
Next is another dish mat, using free-piecing with lots of scraps with a terry cloth dish towel on the back.
It really does lay flat, honest!
And finally, I've made some blocks that will eventually be a philanthropy quilt for my quilt guild.
I'm using a technique from a video by the Missouri Star Quilt Company.  They used a design by 3 Dudes Quilting in Phoenix, AZ.  They used a Jelly Roll, but my strips are actually 3" instead of 2.5".
To see more July NewFOs,
pop on over to Cat Patches!